a simple, warm & hearty salad featuring my personal fave, bsprouts…enjoy!
WARM BRUSSEL SPROUT, LENTIL & QUINOA SALAD
- ¼ cup brown lentils
- ¼ cup white quinoa
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts (approximately 16 sprouts)
- ½ red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (1-inch) piece of ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- ½ lemon
- rinse lentils and add to a saucepan with three times as much water. bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- rinse quinoa and add to saucepan together with salt. cook 10 minutes more, or until quinoa and lentils are soft but still have bite. add more liquid if needed.
- meanwhile, rinse brussels sprouts, trim ends and halve. grate ginger. coarsely chop basil. cut red onion into ½” dice.
- bring a shallow pan of water to boil. add sprouts and simmer 2-3 minutes until soft. drain.
- in the same pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. add ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and onion. saute 1-2 minutes, then add sprouts. cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- turn off heat. add quinoa and lentils to the sprout mixture, then stir in basil. squeeze lemon juice on top and add salt and pepper to taste. serve warm.