(loosely) inspired by a ming tsai favorite: black bean & orecchiette with spicy pork & broccoli & adapted to my cravings: substituted pasta for quinoa, added toasted almonds and carrots, and left out the pork. (there was plenty of protein already!)
RECIPE FOR ASIAN QUINOA STIR-FRY (serves 4):
- pearl quinoa, 1 cup uncooked
- 2 cups vegetarian broth / water
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp fermented black beans
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- minced garlic
- minced ginger
- red chili flakes
- add sesame oil, garlic & ginger to a large heated skillet. cook until fragrant (~2 min).
- add quinoa, broth/water & soy sauce, and bring to a boil. once boiling, reduce to a simmer.
- add chopped carrot and broccoli. let simmer for ~15 min, or until water is absorbed and quinoa is finished cooking (the outsides get white and puffy and pearl-like…you’ll know)
- add fermented black beans and chili flakes.
- mix in chopped scallions, leaving extra for garnish.
- add salt & pepper to taste.
- garnish with remaining scallions and toasted almonds.