what to do with a container of overripe apricots…. why not make jam? my first attempt at it, and while the flavor’s amazing, i made the silly mistake of walking away from the stovetop while it was cooking and so mine’s a tad burnt. that doesn’t mean this recipe isn’t incredible though, because it truly is. enjoy – just keep in mind that you have to devote 20 minutes of your undivided attention to this baby!
APRICOT GINGER JAM RECIPE yields 1 mason jar’s worth
[adapted from simply recipe’s apricot riesling jam]
- 2 cups chopped apricots
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup chardonnay (or white wine of your choice)
- juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, diced
- place all ingredients in a thick-bottomed, stainless steel pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
skim off the pale yellow foam that forms at the top and discard. begin gently stirring the jam frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. (or burning altogether, which is what happened to me.)
after 15-20 minutes, begin testing the jam by placing a small amount on a cold plate. boil for longer if you’d like consistency thicker.
ladle into mason jar and seal, leaving 1/4 inch of head space.