cooking at my parents’ house is such a luxury in comparison to the modest kitchen at my apartment – especially in the summer, when it’s grilling season. the temptation to go home is sooo much greater when my dad throws out that he’ll “throw some shrimp or tuna steaks on the grill,” and i know that i can look forward to a relaxing evening on the porch of their beautiful lake house. a couple weeks ago, my dad and i taught me how to make his creole bbq grilled shrimp. it couldn’t have been easier, or more tasty. instructions below. enjoy!
CREOLE BBQ GRILLED SHRIMP + GREENS serves 4
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined (we used frozen)
- 1 head broccoli rabe
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 cup pineapple, cubed
- bbq sauce of your choice (in our house, it’s always sweet baby ray’s – because my dad’s name is ray. cute, no?)
- creole seasoning / spice rub
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- heat grill to 400.
- defrost shrimp, if necessary, and baste it with bbq sauce & creole seasoning. a good coating on both sides.
- place broccoli rabe and asparagus in separate bowls and toss each to coat with balsamic, oil and salt+pepper.
- skewer shrimp and pineapple chunks.
- add asparagus, shrimp & pineapple to the grill. occasionally turn asparagus & pineapple to ensure they doesn’t stick. after 3-4 minutes, flip shrimp and cook the other side. you should see a good sear mark on the first side.
- add broccoli rabe to the grill.
- cook shrimp an additional 3-4 minutes, removing from heat when color is bright pink. remove asparagus, pineapple & broccoli rabe. transfer all to a serving plate and enjoy!
this is a great recipe for a hot summer day, or when hosting a big group for a bbq. it requires little maintenance and all prep can be done beforehand. recommended listening – a recent 8tracks playlist i made: songs for sunny days & (blue)grass. it’s already gotten far more listens than i could have anticipated, so hopefully it serves you well! lots of folk and banjo, because there’s not much else i want to hear in the summer.