i wanted to share a simple oatmeal recipe i’ve been hooked on for breakfast lately. this hot breakfast is quick to prepare, easy on the tummy & an energizing way to start the day!
i found the recipe in the brilliant ayurvedic cookbook, eat taste heal. this works for me, a vata in every sense, but all will enjoy! kaphas or those with dairy sensitivies may want to substitute the milk for soy or almond milk.
VATA-PACIFYING SPICED OATMEAL FOR ONE (adapted from eat taste heal)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup organic 1% milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp honey (to top)
- 1 tsp flaxseed (to top)
- bring milk and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- slowly stir in oats, then raisins and spices.
- simmer for 4 minutes.
- add banana and sliced almonds.
- simmer for another 3-4 minutes, until it reaches desired consistency.
- remove from heat. add salt to taste.
- transfer to bowl and top with honey & flax seeds!