spring!! it’s here! truly!
and i have the best pea and mint recipe to welcome the new season. a spring pea, mint & avocado mash… sort of like guacamole, but dare i say better? at the very least, it’s more more seasonally fitting.
this simple appetizer highlights the subtle sweetness of the spring peas and the tangy bite of fresh mint. the avocado just does what it’s best at…makin’ things all silky and decadent.
the first signs of spring are most glorious. the sun is shining, temps are at no-coat-necessary levels, birds are chirpin’…and most wonderfully, motion returns.
i see it in the lake outside my house. recently released of its icy shackles, it sways and taunts and glistens in the sunlight, a gentle reminder the life is actively happening, things are moving.
i feel it in the light spring breeze that grounds me and urges me to be present, in this moment.
and most of all, i sense it in the people. us hardened new englanders have awoken again – basking in the sudden warmth and disappearance of snow, i’d like to think we’re the best versions of ourselves right now.
we’re deeply appreciative, for we’ve made it through another grueling winter and we deserve this beautiful resurgence of green. once again, we greet one another as we bike or walk or run by, because we share something now. we share this deep appreciation of spring, of green, and of new england. our lives are moving forward again, after winter’s long pause.
i hope that you enjoy this seasonal and simple recipe, a celebration of spring.
i also wanted to share a new playlist with you. to me, gorgeous spring days necessitate appropriately light and happy music. here’s what i’ve been listening to lately, some old and some new. (namely: elephant revival!)
again we have been reminded that life moves, and ebbs and flows, just like the seasons. just when we never thought we’d see the end of bleak grays and whites, the veil abruptly lifts, and motion again returns.
SPRING PEA, MINT & AVOCADO MASH yields 1/2 cup (single serving)
- 1/3 avocado
- 15 fresh pea pods, equivalent to 1/4 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2-3 fresh sprigs of mint leaves
- 1 lemon wedge
- sea salt & pepper
- blanch peas in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to cook. (make sure that they still retain some bite though.) drain & set aside.
- grind coriander seeds, mint & a pinch of sea salt in a mortar & pestle. (if you don’t have one, i’d suggest using ground coriander and muddling the mint.)
- add peas to the mortar & pestle and mash gently, so they start to break up but maintain some of their plump shape.
- in a separate bowl, mash the avocado. add pea & mint mixture to the mashed avocado, and use a fork to gently combine.
- top with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and salt & pepper, to taste.
- serve with tortilla chips! i used food should taste good’s cantina chips… highly recommend!
this recipe was featured in issue 05 of t.e.l.l. new england. you can check out the article, here!